Where USF faculty, students and graduates are invited to talk about journalism and its problems and opportunities. This blog is not affiliated with the University of San Francisco, nor is the university responsible for any of the opinions expressed herein -- though it is certainly responsible for the people who entertain those opinions, having educated them. They make us proud.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Where's Corinna Halloran?

From Back East, Corinna Halloran (J minor, '07) writes:

I am discovering my path. I want to write "non-fiction." I want to create. (Maybe I'll be a creative non-fiction writer). Now this may sound hokey, but I HAVE realized that fate does have A LOT to do with jobs. With the internship at the local weekly and with this photographer position I was at the right place at the right time. I don't know if this will discourage any future students but I think it's pretty exciting. I found the internship at the weekly, because I started talking to a photographer I saw at the beach.

I have another "job offer" with a local start up clothing company to photograph their line. The clothing company I hope to be involved with is a surf clothing line and I found out about it because the "CEO" has known me for a while but more importantly, knows I'm a photographer. So, again... it's all who you know and who sees you doing what you love.

Yes, I did graduate and yes, I am a waitress (as if it hasn't been done before) but I need money. And I am hell bent on not being a waitress after this summer... I'm working towards a "nugget"... so regardless of how nice the fast money is... I refuse to settle and "get comfortable." Continuing on the idea of the nugget/ getting out of waitressing... I am very interested in traveling and crewing on a boat... although someone recently said "that's the beginning of the end."... and I can drink with the journalists but drinking with sailors is a completely different ball game.... so we shall see.

AND THEN, putting my English degree to use, I'm very very interested in becoming TESOL certified. There is a program in Costa Rica that I'm going to apply for in the Fall.

So I have a lot of "plans," I want to try a lot, and I want to experience a lot. Most importantly, I want to be happy with what ever I end up doing. Regardless, I promise to keep you updated. Please please please have any students email me with any questions they have... It would be cool to help out

Corinna can be reached at: c.m.halloran@gmail.com

No comments: